Communicating with Clients with Developmental Disabilities
AUGUST 12, 2021 | 1:00 – 2:00 pm
Deadline for registration is August 11
This training is approved for CE for social workers, counselors, and marriage and family therapists in the state of Ohio.
Level of Course | 100 Beginner
Participants will gain an understanding of the diagnostic criteria for Developmental Disability. Participants will be introduced to behavioral characteristics of individuals with a Developmental Disability. Participants will also gain a better understanding of communication styles and tips for improving communication. Best practices will be reviewed, and resources will also be provided. Course participants will also be able to ask questions via webinar chat during the Q&A portion of the course.
- Participants will be able to understand diagnostic criteria for Developmental Disability.
- Participants will learn about behavioral characteristics and communication styles that will provide a better understanding of individuals with a Developmental Disability.
- Participants will be able to identify best practice suggestions and resources.
- 1:00 pm – Diagnostic criteria for Developmental Disability and examples
- 1:05 pm – Factors in diagnosis of mental health in individuals with a Developmental Disability
- 1:15 pm – Behavioral characteristics of individuals with a Developmental Disability
- 1:25 pm – Communication patterns and how to improve communication
- 1:35 pm – Best practices for assisting individuals on the careline
- 1:50 pm – Resources
- 1:55 pm – Q&A
- 2:00 pm – Close
Participants are required to stay logged-in for the Q&A portion of the training for successful completion, as it is part of the educational portion of this course.
Presented by Nikole Loew, LPCC-S
Developmental Disability Clinical Specialist, Netcare
Nikole Loew, LPCC S, has held the position of Developmental Disability Clinical Specialist at Netcare since 2007. Nikole is the liaison between the ADAMH system and Franklin County Developmental Disabilities. Nikole participates in providing education to a wide variety of community resources that includes Crisis Intervention Training for police officers, trainings for Netcare staff to effectively work with individuals with Developmental Disabilities and co facilitates therapy groups for female individuals with Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities.
Evaluations will be distributed within 24 hours after the training via email. You will receive a link where you can submit the completed evaluation. Evaluations must be completed to receive CE credits. Certificates will be available to download once the once the evaluation is received.
We strive to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals, including individuals with disabilities, to engage fully. You may request an accommodation or inquire about accessibility as part of the Zoom registration process. Please contact us at email@example.com should you need further assistance.